Image Map

Sunday, June 23, 2013

Healthy Lunch - Kinder Style



Wednesday last week was a big huge gigantic day for Kindergarten at my school. It was the culmination of our term of work on Healthy Choices. Our final activity was to host a Healthy Lunch and invite the families of our 46 students to school.

The menu was decided!
The RSVP's rolled in......116! Yikes!

So the prep began!
It began like this...plus 2 other trolleys!

The many hours we spent shopping then had to be translated into the hours we needed to spend CHOPPING!. I didnt get a photo of all the prep, but the teachers of my school (for the most part) were so supportive and fantastic! The last chopper left school at 9.30pm the night before the lunch.

Ill let the pics take up the story now!

Very hygenic! I did have to give lots of gloves to one boy in particular. He would take his turn at 'making' and then exclaim "This looks yum!" Then his hand would go straight in his mouth. I was killing myself laughing!

We divided into 4 groups and each group prepared 3 dishes. My group made Garden Salad, Crunchy Noodle Salad and Wraps

How cool is the watermelon shark? You have probably seen it on Pinterest? Well someone was showing this pic around when we were chopping and my awesome boss says....I can do that! So watermelon shark was born! I think kids who didnt even like watermelon had a try of some out of his mouth.

Our hall was so full of happy families and kids who were so proud of themselves.

It was a lot of effort and come Thursday morning there were some VERY tired teachers but it was so totally worth it.



6 comments:

  1. That looks AMAZING, Brooke! What an awesome end of topic idea.

    Stef
    Miss Galvin Learns

    ReplyDelete
  2. WOW! What a huge effort, such a great way to show kiddies and parents ways to prepare healthy food, I am definitely going to give the watermelon shark a go.
    Tania
    Mrs Poultney's Ponderings

    ReplyDelete
  3. Well done to you all. What an amazing effort and super idea as a culminating performance. I bet everyone enjoyed themselves!

    ReplyDelete
  4. It's gorgeous! My grade 1er's have just been studying healthy habits, but I love the way you included families more than we did this time! (I'm student teaching at the moment). I'd love to do something like this if I teach this unit in the future!

    ReplyDelete
  5. What a great idea. There are so many children who have poor diets. This is a great way for them to see and experience the delights of healthy food. Love that watermelon shark.
    Well done to everyone.

    Rhonda
    Classroom Fun

    ReplyDelete
  6. What a fantastic idea.Huge job but well worth the effort! There are so many children who have poor diets. This is a great way for them to see and experience the delights of healthy food. Love that watermelon shark!
    Well done everyone.

    Rhonda
    Classroom Fun

    ReplyDelete