Image Map

Saturday, August 3, 2013

Making CVC words

When your students have the basics of sounds of letters, the next step is making those CVCs. Some kids click....some kids don't. To help out my kids I made these activity cards. I haven't blogged about them yet but when I made an update for a friend today, I thought it was time!


This is what I started with. A magnetic white board, my cards, and a set of letters I bought at the $2 shop (and a horse! But please don't ask). I like them because the vowel is a different colour to help the kids find it. I know some sets have blue consonants and red vowels too. But you could do this with any magnetic letters or with a white board marker.

Choose a card. The boxes tell the students which kind of letters they are looking for, tall, short or long. They build the word in the bottom boxes and then push it up, letter by letter. The sounding out of the letters helps the students build the word.
Another example. I have just updated the file to include cards that have the vowel already written in the middle to help support those students still learning the concept of building a CVC. Both sets of cards come in black and white as well as colour.

Click any pic to find these activity cards in my TPT store.



You can support this activity with the CVC stamping pack (also in my store). Write the word, stamp the word, colour the picture! Lots of hands on, engaging learning fun!

Click on either picture to go and grab this in my store. I will soon be making the same update to this pack (hopefully over the next week).

I love you comments so let me know how you teach CVC's and don't forget your email. I will pick one comment to receive my CVC cards and one to receive my CVC stamping pack. I'll give you just over 24 hours....

6 comments:

  1. Adding to this my cart right now! ;) I have a few little ones who would absolutely benefit from this practise!

    Stef
    Miss Galvin Learns

    ReplyDelete
  2. I use stamping centers similar to yours cos my kids are a bit lazy to write! Your CVC pack looks wonderful!

    cheriemae@gmail.com

    ReplyDelete
  3. Now I am intrigued about the horse.... We do lots of making words with playdough, scrabble letters, magazine letters (precut to save time) Just about anyway you can get them to practise. Love the stamp it pack.

    Tania
    Mrs Poultney's Ponderings

    ReplyDelete
  4. The hose has me intrigued as well!! I really could have used this pack earier this year! I'll definitely be coming back if I am in Year 1 again next year!

    Kylie
    Down Under Teacher

    ReplyDelete
  5. Did you really get those letters at the $2? What a find! I am guessing your daughter did some practising for you and the horse is hers?

    Alison
    Teaching Maths with Meaning

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love the packet!!! The varied exercises are just what my little kiddos need to start off their school year.

    Roxanne
    foxysexyroxy10@gmail.com

    ReplyDelete