Image Map

Wednesday, June 13, 2012

Website Wednesday

I was wondering what I was going to post about for this week. But then, during a rather boring riveting professional development session this morning at school, I was introduced to this little beauty.

THINKING BLOCKS
 Thinking blocks uses manipulatives to model how to solve word problems for all operations
 It gives you lots of choices about the type of question and the size of the number, making it adaptable for K-2 and primary students. The following are screen shots from an example addition question I ran through.
 Place the labels and 'blocks' in the correct place
 Add the numbers to the correct label - this enables you to find the missing number (or part of the word problem you need to solve)
 Use the calculator to help you solve and input the answer

I have only just begun playing with this but it looks like a fantastic tool for helping to dissect word problems and gives your visual learners those cues as well.
Click on the first slide to go try it for yourself :)


Now keep on blog hopping!



7 comments:

  1. Thinking Blocks sound very interesting and interactive for students. I am all about using technology in the classroom. Thanks for sharing!
    Lisa
    Learning Is Something to Treasure

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow, Brooke! SO much great info! I'm going to put in a link in my post to yours. Is that cool?

    Dana

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thats fine Dana. Im stoked :)
    Brooke

    ReplyDelete
  4. This looks like a great resource. Thank you for sharing!
    Stephanie

    ReplyDelete
  5. LOVE the Thinking Blocks. I am going to be working with various students K-5 and think this would be great! I found your blog from the Mystery Blog Hop and would love to invite you to hop over to mine as well.

    Happy Blogging!
    Amy

    ReplyDelete
  6. I am checking out all of the blogs in the QR Mystery Blog Hop. Since mine is in grades 3-6, I thought I would look at all of the primary ones. Yours is awesome and to think you live in Australia! TPT is a small world.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Great new tool! Thank you for sharing it AND for linking up,
    Christi ツ
    Ms. Fultz’s Corner

    ReplyDelete