Image Map

Wednesday, January 23, 2013

Teacher Tip Thursday

I thought I would try and do a bit of a 'tips' series of things I have found useful in the classroom, in organisation and even with the blogging/resource creating side of things.

So I bring you....

My tip for you this week is about pencils. When I made the switch from teaching the older kids in Grade 5 and 6, down to Year 2, pencils were a whole new deal for me. We supplied them, needed to sharpen them and keep them on the tables at all times. What? I tried a few different things until I caught onto this one.


Cups - plastic drinking cups from the cheap shop (to be exact Go-Lo/Crazy Clarks for my Aussie friends). The reason that I think these are great is because they are a bit on the heavy side and it is a little harder to know them over. They come in a set of $4 for 3 cups and believe me, they have been worth it! I bought some 2 years ago for my class and decided they needed replacing. So little Miss Maddie and I went into school today with the new pencil cups and.....

 Taaaadaaaa - the end result! My baskets for the tables, ready to go.

One more job to tick off the list!




12 comments:

  1. They look fabulous! Pencil sharpening is a much hated task in our room. We need the "Pencil Fairy" to visit us nightly and take care of business!
    Thanks for sharing!
    ~Christy & Tammy
    Fluttering Through First Grade

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know! Last year my electric sharpener 'disappeared' leaving me with only manual option. Imagine my surprise when the teacher next door 'magically' had two!

      Delete
  2. As a Prep teacher I am more than familiar with the age old pencil tin dilemma - and I use the same solution as you! I'm actually off to Crazy Clarks this weekend to buy replacement cups. :)

    Lauren
    lovelaughterandlearninginprep.blogspot.com.au

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am a bit sad that Go-Lo is no longer :( But hooray for pencil cups!

      Delete
  3. Love the little plastic baskets! I've tried sharing supplies over the years but have returned to each child having their own individual pencil case. I HATE the constant sharpening of coloured pencils so we opt for crayons on our booklist (the non-twistable/no paper label variety) and I love them!

    Learning is Rosey with Mrs Josey

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. In our school K-2 never has to bring things (we ask for tissues and glue sticks though). My Year 2s last year started bringing pencil cases but they were so full of stuff that they could never find what they needed! Great idea about the crayons.

      Delete
  4. Very nice Brooke. Wait to you learn all about how Kinder darlings like to fight over who has more/less in their cup ;) You might enjoy my post 'Pencil Wars'
    http://frompond.blogspot.com.au/2011/05/pencil-war.html

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Mel, what a great idea!!! Will definitely be doing this on a Monday :)

      Delete
  5. I have those cups too!! I think we all must have found them at the same time, love Crazy Clarkes.

    Tania

    ReplyDelete
  6. I have some too but for me to drink from haha. I got some utensil containers (for knifes, forks, spoons etc) and use them on each group of tables to sort pencils, crayons, scissors and glue. Works a treat!

    I love these cups though - I might just have to use them at my writing table!

    Casey
    Adoring Lilly

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Cadet we have these in our cup cupboard at home too :)

      Delete